Monday, June 28, 2010
Friday, June 25, 2010
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Dr. Boyce Watkins Talks About Single Parenting with Tamika Mallory and Alexis Stodghill on AOL Black Voices
Dr. Boyce Watkins Talks About Social Issues with Dr. Marc Lamont Hill and Lola Adesioye on AOL Black Voices
Dr. Boyce Watkins Talks About Immigration with Dr. Alan Aja and Dr. R. L'Heureux Lewis on AOL Black Voices
Dr. Boyce Watkins Talks About "President Obama's father's day speech" with Rev. Al Sharpton on Keeping it Real.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
- It appears that Kanye West and the infamous Marion "Suge" Knight are getting together to work out ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 6:36PM | Comments (0)
- I did the interview below on CNN Radio this week about love and money. Most of us know the feeling ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 4:45PM | Comments (1)
- In this episode of 'Dr Boyce Watkins on AOL Black Voices,' we discuss black single mothers ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 3:54PM | Comments (0)
- A man was sent to prison after he did the unthinkable: He pretended to be a teenager, lured a young ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 3:42PM | Comments (1)
- Every week, I speak with Rev. Al Sharpton on various issues that affect the African American ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 9:45AM | Comments (6)
- On Father's Day, I wrote about the immense thrill of being a dad. This is one of the reasons I ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 9:30AM | Comments (8)
- "BP is paying all the bills right now," Darryl Willis, the vice president of resources for BP ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 22nd 2010 7:50AM | Comments (1)
- Investigators are saying that the 27-year-old son of Dallas Police Chief David Brown shot and ... Read More
- By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 21st 2010 8:38PM | Comments (2)
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Dr. Boyce Watkins - The Institute of Black Public Policy
I wrote about a new book regarding the NCAA’s alleged exploitation of black athletes, written by University of Georgia Professor Billy Hawkins. In his recently-released book, “The New Plantation,” Hawkins goes out of his way to help us understand that the method by which the NCAA does business is not much different from the mindset of plantation owners of the old south.
The analogies used by Professor Hawkins are thought-provoking and appear to be alarmist at first glance. After all, citizens are commonly comparing nearly every modern-day injustice to slavery in order to make a dramatic point. But in this case, the analogies are appropriate, in large part because slavery is not a dichotomy. Instead, it is actually a continuum, with complete freedom on one end and total servitude on the other. One could even argue that slaves themselves were not completely devoid of freedom, since they could have always chosen to run away, buy their freedom, maim themselves or even commit suicide as a way to escape their condition. The point of this very grim example is not to say that slavery was not entirely horrific; rather, it is to say that something does not have to be entirely horrific to be compared to slavery.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Monday, June 14, 2010
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Saturday, June 12, 2010
by Dr. Boyce Watkins
The rapper Nicki Minaj was sued this week over a pink Lamborghini that she rented for one of her videos. The company, Hollywood Exotic Car Rental, sued her for $12,000, alleging that the car was damaged and that the rental fee was not paid.
The car had been rented for $1,750 a day to shoot her "Massive Attack" music video, directed by Hype Williams.
The suit against Nicki Minaj was filed in LA Superior Court. The company alleges that the car was driven "off road" and that the damage amounted to $11,589.41. They also argue that Minaj didn't pay the three day rental fee on the car, which totaled $5,250.
- According to Professor Richard Lapchick, author of the recent Racial and Gender Report Card for ... Read More
- By Dr. Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 12th 2010 11:20AM | Comments (0)
- In light of all of the interesting analysis that others have done regarding why President Barack ... Read More
- By Dr. Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 9th 2010 9:36PM | Comments (34)
- Richelle Carey at CNN Headline News recently reached out to me to find out why black men aren't ... Read More
- By Dr. Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 5th 2010 4:24PM | Comments (32)
- NBA star Dwyane Wade's divorce just got a little uglier. This week, the court gave Wade custody ... Read More
- By Dr. Boyce Watkins, PhD on Jun 4th 2010 8:51AM | Comments (33)
- The world seems to be buzzing incessantly about the statements made by former NBA great Calvin ... Read More
- By Dr. Boyce Watkins, PhD on May 24th 2010 10:41PM | Comments (4)
Slim Thug and his comments about black women continue to get the artist into trouble. Is he going to lose big money because of this?
Friday, June 11, 2010
Dr. Boyce Watkins Talks About Elena Kagans' Supreme Court Nomination on Wisconsin Public Radio